Work package 1 – Coordination and project management
- Ensure an appropriate management and coordination of the project that enables the communication between all project partners.
- To manage and monitor the project progress in order to respect time and resource constraints and communicate this progress to all the partners and AdG in Sicily.
- To join all the data and work done from the partners and draw up an annual relation about the progress and results of the project.
Work package 2 – Data Acquisition
- Acquisition and working of instruments able to detect important features of meteorological field and volcanic clouds. There are: meteorological stations, a portable LIDAR with scanning capabilities developed by CNISM, a photometer, an ethelometer, a laser cascade system.
- These instruments will be installed in Malta except for the LIDAR which is portable and consequently it will be used for measurements in Montedoro, (CL), at SERRA LA NAVE (INAF), two ideal locations for detecting volcanic clouds between Sicily and Malta. Furthermore, specific field surveys will be organized in the whole area (Catania, Siracusa, Ragusa, Caltanissetta and Malta).
- Laboratory analysis. Characterization of volcanic ash erupted from Etna. These measurements will allow to evaluate physical properties of explosive activity.
Work package 3 – Modelling volcanic ash dispersal
- Meteorological forecast of volcanic ash dispersal in the transfrontaliera area.
- Meteorological Forecast in the transfrontaliera area.
- Daily forecasts of volcanic plume dispersal (0000 UTC, 06:00 UTC, 12:00 UTC, 18:00 UTC) for two eruptive scenarios at Mt. Etna.
- The volcanic ash dispersal simulations are daily outputs of the VAMOS SEGURO project and, being generated by an automated system, the results could not reproduce the real dipersal of volcanic ash. We are not responsible neither damages neither decisions that can be taken according to their use.
Work package 4 – Model validation
- Validation of meteorological forecasts.
- Validation of volcanic ash forecasts using data obtained from instruments.
Work package 5 – Information and Comunications
- Diffusion of the results to the authorities who manages the emergency in Italy and Malta.
- Final test simulating a real eruption.